Having cancer presents a variety of challenges, no matter your age. Norton Cancer Institute’s Geriatric Oncology Program is the first of its kind in the area to bring together expertise in several important areas of caring for older adults. Together, we offer customized, high-quality cancer treatment plans for patients over age 70.
This unique program could benefit your patients if:
- They are active and want to return to an active lifestyle.
- They have medical conditions in addition to cancer and want to learn how cancer treatment can affect their overall health.
- They want to learn how your care plan can improve with additional resources designed for their needs.
Refer a patient to the Geriatric Oncology Program
Call (502) 394-6350
Norton Cancer Institute – Brownsboro
4955 Norton Healthcare Blvd.
Program hours: Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m.
Patients over age 70 with any type of cancer see a geriatric oncology specialist who will work closely with the patient’s current cancer care team to maximize quality of life.
At the initial visit, the Geriatric Oncology Program’s geriatrician and pharmacist will perform a comprehensive evaluation to help establish an individualized care plan through:
- A nurse navigator to help guide your patient through the program’s resources
- A nutritionist to develop a healthy eating plan
- A social worker to discuss ways to improve the patient’s quality of life through available support services
- A physical therapist to help maximize physical ability
- A pharmacist to assess current medications and their impact
- on care
- A geriatrician and behavioral oncology team to work directly with your patient and their oncologist or cancer care provider in coordinating the care plan