By demonstrating outcomes that meet or exceed national benchmarks and a commitment to high-quality transplant care, the Heart Transplant Program at Norton Children’s Heart Institute, affiliated with the University of Louisville, recently received accreditation from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
The accreditation ensures your patient will receive transplant care from a multidisciplinary team led by a cardiologist who is board certified and fellowship trained in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology. Our team includes pediatric cardiologists, pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons, nurse practitioners, nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, social workers, psychologists and child life specialists who follow your patient throughout the transplant process.
The CMS accreditation process included:
- Review of the selection process for transplant patients
- Assurance of appropriate waitlist management
- Confirmation of 24/7 coverage for transplant and organ donor offers
- Appropriate educational materials and plan for pre- and post-transplant for the patient and family
- Review of all policy and procedures
- Assessment that all quality indicators are being followed
- Evaluation of organizational chart to ensure transplant data/metrics are vetted through appropriate channels
- Observation of multidisciplinary team discussions, as well as quality meetings
- Review of relationship with our organ procurement organization — Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates (KODA)
- Training of all multidisciplinary staff in transplant care and training of all hospital staff who care for transplant patients
- Interviews with nurses from PICU and surgical floor and surgery staff, and all transplant team members
You can be assured by the CMS accreditation that our Heart Transplant Program provides all necessary services to transplant patients. Our program is growing, with 19 heart transplants since 2015. You will have peace of mind knowing your patients are receiving expert care without needing to travel out of Kentucky.
To make a referral to Norton Children’s Heart Institute, click here.