Kentucky is ranked eighth in the U.S. in logging the most lung screening exams. Norton Healthcare’s Center of Excellence Lung Cancer Screening Program has experienced success in usage and appropriateness.
2016 screening program statistics
- Norton Healthcare performed 28 percent of Kentucky’s lung cancer screenings and 1.5 percent of those in the U.S.
- Appropriateness rate is 98.6 percent — best in the nation
- Tobacco cessation rate is 99.94 percent — best in the nation
The Center of Excellence Lung Cancer Screening Program offers low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans, which can detect the smallest tumors and screen for lung cancer in individuals who meet established age and smoking history criteria.
The center’s integrated screening component provides two important benefits for patients:
- Rapid access to a team of specialists if a suspicious finding is detected
- A nurse navigator to help ensure prompt follow-up
For more information or to refer a patient for lung screening or lung cancer treatment, call Connie Buckley, R.N., or Jenny Frantz, R.N., nurse navigators, at (502) 636-8308.